OER Faculty Grant
The Affordable Instructional Resources (AIR) initiative invites faculty to apply for grant funding to develop Open Educational Resources (OER) for undergraduate courses. OER are teaching materials that are free, distributed online, and allow anyone to copy, use, adapt, and remix the materials for free. OER are commonly used as alternatives to expensive textbooks by providing students with high quality course readings at no cost. Funded by the Office of the Provost and the Libraries, these grants are intended to fund the work involved in finding, creating, using, and sharing OER as replacements for required commercial textbooks. No experience with OER is necessary to apply.
- $5,000 to develop, use, and publish OER for a Northwestern undergraduate course
- Grant recipients receive individualized support from librarians on finding, using, and publishing OER
CriteriaProject proposals will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Potential savings on current textbook costs for Northwestern students
- Significance of OER to the course’s objectives and subject area
- Ability to be implemented in a timely manner, with priority given to projects expected to be completed for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Willingness to provide feedback on using OER to the Northwestern community
- Willingness to share resulting OER using the Libraries' digital publishing resources
Application materialsWe will consider one application per course. Two or more faculty members may submit a combined application for a project that covers multiple courses, in which case each faculty member may be eligible for a $5,000 grant. Applications must be submitted online. The application requires a brief project narrative (500 word limit), where we ask you to address the following:
- The number of students typically enrolled in the class, an estimate of the current cost of course materials, and an estimate reduction in course cost by using an OER
- How you plan to incorporate an OER into your course
- How you will spend the grant funds to support this work
- How you will evaluate the success of the OER in your class
Full-time, benefits-eligible faculty, tenure-line or instructional, with continuing appointment in the 2020-2021 academic year.